Sharing Steve :: New Stuff
Saturday, May 21, 2005
 

Pleasure of My Company to be a movie?


Writer
May,2004, Vol. 117 Issue 5, p8-9.
Miscellany

****
A NOT-SO-WILD MARTIN

"I know I will never be perceived as a novelist," says actor and author Steve Martin. "If I wrote the greatest book in the world, I know I'll never be taken seriously." Yet, as if to counter his onscreen persona, Martin writes serious books, including Shopgirl and the recently released The Pleasure of My Company. "I'm not trying to be a novelist," Martin tells The Washington Post. "I'm only writing when I have something to say." Nevertheless, he notes, "I am an entertainer. I have a sense of audience. I want them to like it. I'm invested in the book."

Neither book was written with the intent of turning it into a movie, yet both are now being filmed--and Martin has written the screenplay for each. But he finds a special pleasure in writing fiction. When Martin's housekeeper and assistant leave and it's time to close the door and work on a novel, he thinks, "Oh, goody!"

****

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Powered by Blogger