Sharing Steve :: New Stuff
Tuesday, October 25, 2005
 

Partial transcript of Mark Twain speech


ABC News Transcripts
GOOD MORNING AMERICA (07:00 AM ET) - ABC
October 24, 2005 Monday
PICTURE OF THE MORNING STEVE MARTIN

CHARLES GIBSON, ABC NEWS

(Off Camera) Well, we want to lighten the mood a bit with our "Picture of the Morning." This is comedian Steve Martin. He was honored last night with one of the nation's top comedy awards. It is the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. Well-deserved. But here's a bit of his speech at the Kennedy Center in Washington last night.

STEVE MARTIN, ENTERTAINER

I want to thank my family up there in the box seats who have made my life so rich. My secret family in the other box who knows nothing about the other family. So, please. When I look at the list of people who have been given this award it makes me very, very satisfied. But when I look at the list of people who haven't been given this award, it makes me even more satisfied. I'm laughing at something, a Mark Twain quote that I love, and I wrote it down because I wanted to get it exactly right. He said, whatever you do, for God's sake, do not name a prize after me.

DIANE SAWYER, ABC NEWS

(Off Camera) I love, "The Washington Post" said over the weekend, it should be the Steve Martin Award. They could give it to Mark Twain. But Steve Martin's the funny guy.

ROBIN ROBERTS, ABC NEWS

(Off Camera) He sure is.

CHARLES GIBSON

(Off Camera) Well-deserved award. We'll be back.

CHARLES GIBSON

(Voice Over) Coming up on "Good Morning America," America's favorite handyman reveals his greatest passion. And we're not talking about Teri Hatcher. Plus, the secret scene they didn't have time to show you last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Powered by Blogger